Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Going Home



Last Sunday on February 25, I (Christine) sat and listened to the words of praise and love from friends and family about my beautiful mother at her memorial service in the Presbyterian church that I grew up in. My mother, Pamela, was honored by so many and we were all there to celebrate her life. I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of people from all walks of life there to show love and support. Mom fought so courageously in her battle with lung cancer which ravaged her body for the past 2 1/2 years. Mom never complained or gave up. She had an incredible attitude of humility and perseverance. She also had a smile that was infectious to those around and portrayed her inner strength.

My mom was 60 years old and touched and impacted every individual that came across her path. My mother embraced the outcasts and would give the shirt off her back or the shoes on her feet to someone in need. My mom was attentive to the needs of everyone around her. My mom's neighbor Mr. Ali spoke at the memorial service and said my mom was his family’s best friend. Mr. Ali and his family are from Pakistan and they have lived next door for 18 years. Mr. Ali said my mom was the kindest person he knew and was the best Christian he had ever met.

My (Christine) prayer in the 2 weeks prior to mom's death was that I wanted to be with my mom holding her hand when she died. I kept asking the Lord, begging the Lord when is the right time to go and see her again. How long did she have left? After speaking to my twin sister, Jennifer, Mom's husband Larry and the Hospice nurse, I realized that mom didn't have much time. My mom was unable to speak, eat or move. After I got off the phone , Isabela and I were on our way to the airport. We arrived Monday night and mom passed Wed. noon. I am grateful that I was there on her bed holding her hand just as I had asked the Lord. It was surreal, but so peaceful and intimate. There were about 5 of us in the bedroom when mom took her last breath and finally went home.


My mother loved the Lord. I know she is with the Father in Heaven singing, dancing, laughing and loving and being loved. That comforts me. Mom's precious body was ravaged by the cancer but now she has a new body. I will miss her so but the precious memories and the strength of her character and legacy will always be alive in me.

Categories: , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christine, What a beautiful tribute to your mother that was. It blessed me so. Thank you for sharing with those of us who didn't know your Mom. God bless you and your family. Love in Christ from your Lakewood neigh- bor..Teresa Alvarez.

Anonymous said...

Steve..

What beautiful words you share about your mom. My prayers for your comfort. I also lost my mom last year also at age 60 to cancer.

I'm sry to instrude on your blog. We went to Valley together, but I'm not sure you'd remember that. Your family is beautiful. I heard through the grapevine about your Mexico ministry. I emailed you on your myspace regarding this. If you find the time, please check it out. God Bless you, your wife & your kids. Corby "Sulser" Wagner (wagnfun @ msn. com)