Thursday, January 10, 2008

Planting Trees


Been thinking about our future lately. This past week we closed our official chapter of Campus Crusade, at the Denver Christmas Conference, but will be relationally connected hopefully with those wonderful staff for a lifetime. My normal temptation is to start running full speed ahead, proving to others, that the work, future and ministry of ours is worthy to be spoken of. Yet, deep in my soul I know I should rest, wait on the Lord and ask Him to reveal exactly what He wants us to do to bring glory to Him.

A few weeks ago I had cafe with my good friend, Jeff Westrup, in California. Jeff started me on a journey of the heart about 5 years ago. I value his insights, fresh take on spirituality and encouragement to listen to God. He sent me a link to read a story written Jean Giono, The Man Who Planted Trees. Tonight I read it to my older boys and was encouraged by the story, real or fictional.

I was struck by the perseverance, simple vision to bless others and do the work that God had called the old man to. He wasn't about creating his own kingdom, seeking approval of others, or praise for his greatness. He knew the work he was doing would take a lifetime but it would refresh this barren land. Inspiring.

I too want to be about the simple work of blessing others, bringing glory to God, doing what He and only He calls me to. Read it. Ponder it. Reflect on what God is calling you to do for HIS glory
Categories: ,

1 comment:

Jessica Bott said...

Going to read it later, but wanted you to know that I'm sad I wasn't there for your send-off. I miss you guys and am praying for you as you transition. I'm in San Antonio with the friends for SP Dir. Training. We've enjoyed recounting many of the things that we love about you guys (and know that it's not so much about what you've done, but who you are!!!). Hoping we can connect while I'm out in CO this summer again!! Love to all the Van Diests!