Friday, August 05, 2005

Do I "In God we Trust?"

Today I received an email that was convicting and a great reminder of what I need. I often find myself running out the door on my own strength and lose perspective of what I'm doing and who I'm doing it for.

Here is the email from Gilbert Kingsley:

In God we Trust.
A couple was staying with the husband's wealthy boss. On the way to dinner at an exclusive restaurant, the boss stopped short to pick up something in the street. The wife was surprised to see that it was only a penny. When she asked later if the penny might have had some value, the wealthy boss called attention to the words, "IN GOD WE TRUST". He said that whenever he finds a coin he stops to pick it up and checks to see if he is trusting God. He sees it as God's way of starting a conversation with him. Is he trusting God or his own means?

It may only be an urban legend, but I have adopted that practice. This morning, at the 2 mile mark of my 3 mile run, I saw a penny in the street. I actually ran past it because I was running at a good pace and did not want to stop. But I thought better of it and went back to pick it up. As I started off again with the penny in hand, I found myself in prayer telling the Lord that I wanted to trust Him, to say "Yes!" to Him and to be His. It was a meaningful worship experience, running in the sweltering humidity of Orlando. Interestingly, (now this may be my perception or my superior athletic ability!), but I noticed that my stride was longer during that final mile. When I finished at the marked time I had set, I had run further than at any point in several months.

Did I just psych myself up? The pragmatist would say so. But for those of us looking for the touch of God in our everyday lives, I believe that it was God's reminder to me to stop and recall what my trust is in. It was confirmation that "those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31 NIV

This is a very busy time for all of us, getting back from CSU, finishing up summer assignments, solidifying our financial support, gearing up for FSK distribution, getting in touch with student leaders and, generally, preparing for the most critical weeks of the entire year. But our trust is in Him. We go with God's blessing. We are on His mission. Yes, we want to start new ministries and grow existing ministries and give more students a chance to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ. But we are God's messengers. In God we trust.

No comments: