Saturday, October 22, 2005

Mack Brown at CU

Mack Brown. Now if you're a football fan and follow college sports you'll know that name as the head coach of University of Texas, Austin. Yes, sadly, Mack Brown led his longhorns to victory over the CU Buffaloes this past week. That's okay because we have a Mack Brown as well at CU. Mack Brown is a redshirt freshman QB at CU.

I have been praying and asking God to raise up a spiritual movement within the athletic department for sometime and I give some resources, encouragement and coaching to the athletic bible study run by one of the coaches, Greg. But I also wanted to see God move in the hearts and minds of those who are not-yet-Christians.

So what I have been doing is just showing up at their dining hall to eat once or twice a week and see what God has in store. To be honest it is better food than the other dining halls on campus.

Three weeks ago I prayed God would give me someone to talk to, meet and encourage. I went into the hall with no plan except to see God move. I was eating my fajita tortilla wrap, very yummy, and munching on my fries all while sitting next to a quiet guy. I prayed silently and struck up a conversation with Mack, yes Mack Brown is his name. We talked about being a frosh, being a redshirt, being away from home and then eventually we started talking spirituality and Jesus. He was lonely, looking for relationships and really looking for the Lord. I shared about how he could know God through Jesus and he expressed an interest to doing that.

Then the cook, Marvin a strong Christian, and his aide, Kyle, came up and starting talking. It was sort of an interruption but I wanted to take things in stride and that God has orchestrated that. But in the midst of that Mack had to go to class. I gave him my number and something to read. He left. It was God's way of saying, "Steve this isn't about you. This is about me drawing Mack to myself." I told some other Christian players and coaches to talk to him and see if he wanted to talk more about God. I emailed Mack but got no response the following week.

So I continued on my plan of eating alone in the dining hall. This past week I walked in and out walked Mack. He apologized for not calling back but then expressed he wanted to talk more. We scheduled a lunch for the following day, this past Wednesday. I showed up early, talked to a few Christian players and coaches and ask them to pray for Mack who I was to be meeting in a few minutes. The lunch and hour spent with Mack this past Wednesday was all about God orchestrating the events and conversation. We spent our time talking about Jesus, God, salvation all in the midst of another player, Jason, a linebacker who is a Christian. Jason shared his testimony and perspective of walking with Jesus. Right there Mack prayed to ask Jesus into his heart, forgive his sins and begin a relationship with God.

Within 15 minutes following his becoming a Christian God brought in other Christian players and coaches into Mack's life to encourage and give high fives. He expressed in faith in Christ and now was known to be a Christian to his peers and coaches. One other player, a receiver Dusty, even expressed a desire to meet with Mack and me to read the bible and talk about it weekly. Mack wants to be part of that.

What are we going to do from here? We're going to trust that Mack gets Jesus, shares Christ with others and grows in his new found relationship with God. Why should we expect anything else than immediate life change and impact on his sphere of relationships? God supernaturally did all he could to draw Mack to himself why wouldn't he supernaturally use Mack now to impact others?

It's real life change. It's real miracles. It's because God is real!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
Its encouraging to read about Mack and how God orchestrated the details to draw him to himself! Trust you continue to have significant interactions with him & that he continues to press on to become "good soil".
Keith