Friday, October 28, 2005

MM: Mack Multiplying

This past week I have been gone for most of the week at a campus director's conference. It was a great time of connecting with some friends, dreaming, praying and hearing about multiple movements. Speaking of multiple movements; the food wasn't that great.

On Thursday I was back in town and had a great chance to meet with Mack Brown again, the freshman redshirt QB at CU. My prayer all week had been that Mack would be experiencing God and sensing God's call for him to reach others. I headed back to Dal Ward athletic center for lunch with Mack. We jumped in line and I was introduced to Devon, a fellow redshirt freshman Tight End. We asked Devon to join us for lunch at our table.

Mack and my plan was to eat lunch and talk about what we learned in the One year bible. God had other plans. We started talking to Devon about spirituality and a relationship with God. During the conversation I would ask Mack what he thought, his experiences with knowing God. You got to know that Mack has only been a Christian for 8 days at this point. But why not start teaching him what it really means to be a Christian; we talk to others about Christ.

Mack was definitely used by God. He shared what it really meant to know God, what God valued in coming to salvation and what he thought before coming to know God. Devon was searching. Devon expressed a desire to know God through Christ. Mack and I left him a Gospel track to read and I told him to talk to Mack about this stuff; for Mack is an expert on knowing God at this point. Devon left and thanked us and told us he wanted to talk again.

Mack and I then turned to the one year bible reading. He told me he started in January therefore he read Gen 12:1-4 or so. We turned there and read it again and I asked him what God promised to Abram and commanded him to do. I asked Mack why God would bless Abram or us. Mack responded, "to bless others." We talked about the story line of the Bible, how Gen. 12 is the starting point of God drawing mankind all back to himself, our role in being God's witness to bless others. I tried to paint a picture that Mack too could be a spiritual father, like Abram, to all the other athletes. He was getting multiplication and the Great Commission and he has only been a Christian for 8 days. Very cool.

I asked him about his roommate Paul, another redshirt freshman. "Is he spiritually interested?" Mack wasn't sure so I proposed that we pray for him for 7 days; that God will draw Paul to a relationship with Himself. Mack responded, "I'll talk to him too."

The Spirit is alive. God is already moving in Mack. He is already sensing a vision and call in his life to be a blessing to others. I really do believe that God is doing something special here. I believe and trust God that many, not just a few, but many players will come to know Jesus. It starts with a not-yet-Christian coming to know God and the spirit taking off to impact others.

Continued.......

No comments: