Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Days and Nights in California

Monday I arrived in So. Cal. With the goal of securing housing and jobs for a new summer project. Unlike me I really didn't have a plan other than pray, wait on the Lord, and go looking. It was a great start to a long day. I headed down to Long Beach, (Belmont Shores) where my sister lives. I stopped by her place to pick up the phat map book, Thomas Guide, a need and Bible like guide for those that navigate the urban jungle of So. Cal.

A few months ago a friend told me about Long Beach's urban redevelopment. So I headed down to the Pike Area (shops and entertainment by the Queen Mary: www.shopthepike.com). I was blown away with the development, fun shops and beautiful scenery. I flipped a U turn and headed down south the coast to Seal Beach and Sunset beach with the hopes and dreams of finding a cool motel/hotel that will fit our needs for a summer project. Right after my U turn I pulled into the aqua blue motel: Beach Plaza Hotel. I met Enrique, the manager, and he took me around to the cool units with kitchens, surrounding a puddle sized pool, along the bluffs and the coast. This was perfect. I tried not to show my hand I was dealt and I told him I would stop by again if it worked out.

I was so thankful for the way the day started. I had hope that something like this could be found in the beach area. I then spent the next 3-4 hours walking into hotel/motels along the beach to find all they had was a bed and a sink. Nothing was fitting what we needed. I ended my day with a drive back up to Long Beach to see what the night/street atmosphere had in store around the Beach Plaza Hotel. People strolling, walking dogs, holding hands, cafes and safety. Could this be the place.

Tues morning I headed back to the Hotel to spend some time building a relationship with Enrique. If this works out, he would be the guy we work with and interact about housing. I got to know him, his life, spiritual interest and we talked about financial numbers. I took him to lunch and we punched out some numbers that would work for us and him. The next hurdle to leap over was having him sell this to the owners. Immediately after our lunch he met with Woody, the owners rep. That's where we stand now. Waiting, praying, trusting God that this will be the place to start our project.

It has been great to see God orchestrate this relationship, hotel, and vision for reaching Long Beach. Later Tues afternoon I spent some time with Brad Fieldhouse, "simple/organic church" planter in Long Beach. It is ironic and cool that Brad and I went to High School together. We talked and prayed about what God is doing in the city and how we can help him and his Crossroads (his simple church network in LB) groups reach new areas, plant churches and build the Kingdom in LB. I am super encouraged by the work God is doing in So. Cal. and I pray that we'll be able to jump into what He is already doing.

Waiting, trusting, responding. That's what I'm up to today. We'll stop by again to see if the Beach Plaza Hotel will have us. I'm also scouring the streets, plazas and malls of LB for job possibilities for our students. All in all the faith adventure of being here, trying new things, and believing in God for results has been refreshing. This is where I want to be daily; risk, going, trusting, waiting and listening.

No comments: