Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Segundo Dia en Mexico

Day number two for those of the English decent. We started off with a relaxing morning at the Villa Florida Hotel. Felt a little like I was at the Holiday Inn but nicer. Then we went on a city wide open air bus tour. Pretty city, big and lots of people who don't yet know the Lord. It's funny how at times we work on Mexican time (when ever you get there) but then we're rushed to make a bus that wasn't operating on Mexican time. We grabbed a quick lunch (Dominoes: gross) as we ran onto the bus.

We arrived in the slightly larger city, Mexico City (about 30 million people), bolted to a coffee shop to meet with some pastors, ministry leaders and students in our own ministry (Vida Estudiantil). We shared our vision of reaching every student in every faculty (department). This has to be about 1 million students. Ouch. At first the questions and comments were centered around details, how are we to make this happen, who's in charge, etc. But then you could see the Spirit move through a comment by Hector. Hector is a young Spirit filled pastor who was called into ministry two years ago and is seeing great things happen organically through his church. His small church is sending couples to other parts of the city, to New Zealand and other parts of Mexico. They are a non denominational church all about raising up leaders quickly to reach the world. He was sharing with me how God gave him a heart for the nations and how he doesn't want to be about making a big church. What a leader. His vision, passion and desire to partner with the other groups was contagious. The conversation/discussion was left with anticipation and excitement.

We then left to a place I call heaven. Jason, the local Mexico City team leader, took me to a street vender that sold 5 tacos al pastor for $1. Light me up. I think I ate 7 of them. The meat came from a stick, covered in lime juice, cilantro and standing on the streets of the largest city in the world. There is nothing better.

Then just as if I was taken up to the 3rd heaven, we entered a little market area with about 10 different little kiosks that made their own genre of Mexican food. My eyes began to buldge out of my skull and I ordered a sopa de pollo. A thick, puffy tortilla covered with beans, chicken, cabbage, Oaxacan Cheese (2nd best in the world behind Manchego de Espana) and red salsa. I had a small out of body experience. Then I was encouraged to order some flautas, deep fried on the spot. Oh the choices were beef, chicken and potatoes and Chorizo. I'll take one of each. I then just died and gone to heaven.

Then we walked over to a cool coffee shop that sold donuts and made a great capachino. This place was filled with young people and tons of college students. Immediately I thought this is a great place to start a movement or church. I was hanging out with Keith (national WSN director) and Andy (Regional WSN director) and they initiated a conversation with two young men (Alberto and Ivan.) They asked about Frida, the Mexican artist. She used to live in this barrio. It was cool as I leaned over to sneak into this conversation, Keith was sharing in English his testimony, how Christ touched his life and briefly why were in Mexico. Ivan was already a Christian and in his own heart he had accepted Christ. He told us that Alberto needed to pray to receive Christ. I jumped in with my bad Spanish and began to ask what Alberto's hang ups were. He said he had issues with the church and religion but he believed in God, Jesus, problem of sin and what Christ did for him. He virtually explained he believed in Christ. Earlier Alberto expressed maybe he would know Christ in this way in the future. Keith quickly said, "Maybe Tomorrow." Alberto responded, "Maybe Tonight." It was a God moment.

They asked what we were doing here and I shared our vision of raising up a network of students who reach other students and plant churches all over the city. Alberto also shared with us that he didn't have a job for a year. Andy at the Holy Spirit led perfect moment asked if we could pray for Alberto and Ivan. We talked some more and then had to say good bye. We hooked up Ivan and Alberto (non university students but appointed by the Spirit to talk to us) with Jason the local leader. Alberto thanked us for sharing, talking and praying for him. Then he said he wished us well in our accomplishing our vision. I told him thanks and maybe he would be part of the solution; that he would come to Christ and then share with family members, students and co workers. He said maybe.

I truly believe that God did something amazing here on the streets of Mexico City. I really believe that we may never see the results but I believe God will start a movement through Ivan and Alberto.

This is what Stine and I have been praying for. That God will bring us into groups of people that are ready to hear the message, come to Christ and they will in turn be the immediate multipliers of the Gospel and church planters.

What a day, what a night!

No comments: