Monday, January 23, 2006

The Journey We Find Ourselves In

A sweet, sweet journey it has been. There are some exciting, life altering events coming up in our lives. The handiwork of God began some months ago.

Since moving home from Spain in 1999, God placed it on Christine's heart to live and minister in a Spanish speaking country. She has been praying ever since then that God would show us when and where.

This past summer we were blessed with a time of rest, relaxation and renewal in our sabbatical and we believe God birthed something supernatural in our lives. God began to reveal the next stage for us as a family in how we are to build His Kingdom.

In Mid September on the way home from a meeting with a Christian leader and mentor, Eric, I called Christine to say something supernatural may have just happened. Eric began to cut deep into some the fears and hesitations that I had in leadership. He then in a powerful way breathed life into me to hear from the Lord, lead and move out in creating a new future of ministry. I wasn't sure what the outcome of that day was but I did sense the Lord calling me to move out in bold, faith filled leadership here at CU.

As a result we began to tweak and change our ministry to be more about spiritual movements led by students than by professional ministers. At that point our CU ministry began to take some radical steps to align, motivate and send out our students as missional Kingdom building laborers.

We have seen our students and staff catch the vision to refocus on the basics and expect God to move supernaturally through prayer, evangelism and discipleship. No extras and no high end programs that require tons of work and resources; just the Gospel, Holy Spirit and available faith filled people. God is already moving in new areas on campus that we haven't been before. This was just the beginning...

All along Christine encouraged me to hear from the Lord, pointed me to Christ to believe and lead courageously. Her faith in God inspired me to lead boldly.

A few weeks later I ventured out to sunny Southern California to start looking for housing and jobs for a new summer beach mission project. God had immediate plans as He led me to the city, Long Beach. He was leading us to create a new type of mission project. Immediately God provided partnerships with local church planters and Kingdom workers for a unified work in Long Beach this coming summer. Our desire is that we will help students grow faith where life happens all around them by building God"s Kingdom and blessing Long Beach as well.

Upon returning from scouting out the land in Long Beach, 2 weeks later I found myself on a plane to Mexico City to be part of a thinking group to discuss how to reach this mega city. Just a week before going someone asked me why I was going and I told them it was good friends , great food and talking about strategy.

I didn't see this one coming at all. God got me. Just 4 days in I found myself in cold sweats, laying in my hotel, sleepless and struggling with God about my fears, comforts and issues. I sensed through the conversations and looking back on all that God was showing and teaching us in life and ministry that He was calling us to move to Mexico City.

I called Christine from Mexico to get her reaction to what was going on in my heart and mind. Her immediate response was "Yes, let’s go!"

Then I got home and asked Jonathan what he thought. His response got me! With bold faith of a 7 year old he said, "Dad. If God says we should go, then we should go!" At that point I knew we were on a new journey.

We're moving to Mexico City in August for 3 years to give leadership in reaching the 28 million people throughout the city. We believe God is giving us, personally and Campus Crusade Int'l, a new vision on how to reach this mega city. It will include training, massive partnerships and networking with Mexicans to do the simple multiplying work of evangelism and discipleship throughout every nook and cranny of the city so that every single person will have the opportunity to experience a relationship with Jesus!

We're still leading Long Beach and will continue to do so over the next 3 years. We believe the work that will be happening in Long Beach and Mexico City is part of God's plan to reach cities throughout the world. He is already laying the groundwork and we're here to respond to His Spirit.

Now as we look back we see over the 11 years of ministry God was bringing us along "for such a time as this." We couldn't be more excited to be on this journey with you. Come along for an amazing supernatural ride. To God be the glory!
Categories:

1 comment:

Andy McCullough said...

Your faith along with Christine and Jonathan's is so inspiring. I really believe you are God's man for Mexico City. I am excited to see how God is going to use your family, Craig et. al.