Wednesday, May 31, 2006

1st week in Long Beach

Wow, it has almost been 2 weeks since the staff arrived in Long Beach, CA for our Campus Crusade Summer Project. I have already learned a ton as we are trusting God to grow our faith where life happens and to teach, train, coach and release our students (32 from around the U.S.) into the city to plant spiritual movements. It is much harder than I realized and at the same time simple. I am joining Joanna Meyer and Ethan Rietema as their co-leader to give direction and coaching to this task.

Our staff team of 9 total (two moms, 2 single guys, 2 single gals and us 3 with 5 kids) is great. They are coming together to help create a future, plans and strategy of how does a Summer Project train, coach and plant spiritual movements in 10 weeks. I'm super grateful for my co-leaders, Joanna and Ethan, as they bring a mix of leadership and skills I am completely lacking. I can light my self on fire, communicate passion and a vision for what we are doing and then naturally I step back and expect things to naturally happen. I seem to miss the nuts and bolts on how to take our staff team and 32 students to the next level. Joanna and Ethan are great coaches, strategist and thinkers and in that they are shepherding me along. At this point I believe our students have caught the vision and spirit behind what we are asking them to do. Today we had a good discussion on helping them really have some practical wins and tools to move them along in their spiritual and ministry maturity. All in all, I'm learning a ton. I really believe that this growing process is going to birth something real powerful and long lasting in our lives, our ministry (CCC), the students and in Long Beach.

On the family side, our kids couldn't be happier to be here. They get to go to the beach, play in the pool and be surrounded by 32 Godly college students. On top of this they get to see their cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents on a regular basis.

There is so much going on that I'm needing to remind myself daily that I need the Holy Spirit to grab my heart and attention. My pray is that God would slow me down to seek His face, to renew my heart, passion and vision for loving others around me, and to lead in His power. If you think about it please pray that God will do something amazing in our lives, the students, and in Long Beach. Pray that our significance is not found in a successful project or wise leadership but in God alone. That is where we're at. We need God.

For some photos and videos from the recent weeks check out Van Diest Photo Blog.
Categories: , , ,

No comments: