Friday, May 05, 2006

Moving Forward

When it comes to ministry and leading I love moving forward, making decisions and trying new things. Change and starting up new things is just in my blood. Recently a friend of mine, Jeff Johnson, told me about a book Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation. Jeff is a business architect for Sun and his primary job is to help restructure the company and help them be more effective in structure, leadership and systems. He's a pretty gifted guy. The thing he was sharing with me from the book was that the founding fathers made an agreement not even to deal with the issue of slavery for about 40-50 years because they knew that issue was so hot and heavy, disagreeable and tense that if they did try to work on that before the country got founded the country would have never gotten off the ground. So what they did was move forward, make decisions, knowing full well that they would have to deal with slavery in the future. But the important issue was the United States of America become a country.

Then today I read from Steve Addison's blog Anne Says: Just Do It! Steve shares: "The best church planters. The best movement founders are action oriented leaders. They act first. Think later. They are instinctive beasts. They drive institutional leaders crazy. They change the world."

Now I know this feeds my bent on moving fast and forward but it also inspires me to lead more out of my giftedness. Often times we as organizations or individuals stop moving forward out of fear or a concern that some serious issues might come up that we can't deal with now. So we stop. We lean towards the known and comfortable. We do what is tried and true without ever finding out if the new may be better. My take is move forward, reach new people, create new systems and let the new leaders you have reached and trained take care of those issues when they do come up. Don't be afraid and trust.
Categories: , ,

No comments: