Thursday, May 11, 2006

Make me a Saint


I was reading a book called God is Here by Steve Case. It is a modern approach to the life and ministry of Brother Andrew, who I know very little about. But one chapter Brother Andrew prayed this prayer: "Lord of all pots and pans and things...Make me a saint by getting meals and washing up the plates!" That is not the prayer I normally pray to experience God. Yesterday is when I read that and it was the 1st day that our moving company began to pack our house. It was an amazing feat of focus, work ethic and effectiveness. The four man crew just went to their specific tasks and cranked out packing every thing in our house. At one point I asked if I could do anything. They told me to sit back and take a nap. Then I read this prayer. Ooh the conviction.

Then today, day 2 of moving, I showed up and found out that I could apply the task of serving God and knowing him while working hard. I began to clean each and every grout in our showers, clean toilets and floors. Oh man, our house has never looked so clean. Tomorrow is the last day and our house will be totally empty. It is happening. It is for real, we're moving to Mexico City.
No turning back.

I'm so grateful for the life, work and ministry God has called us to. I couldn't be happier. Tonight in a friends condo (we can't sleep in our house) I read Sam Metcalf's blog titled The Honor of a Missionary Calling. It expressed perfectly how we feel about our calling. God is so good and we are seeing Him move daily in our lives, around us and are even more expectant on what He will do in the near future.
Categories: , ,

2 comments:

Andy McCullough said...

BTW, I think you meant that its about 'Brother Lawrence' not 'Brother Andrew'. The former is a Monk in the 17th Century and the later was God's Smuggler in the 20th century.

Steve Van Diest said...

Andy is getting more sleep than me, even with three twins. I'm toast and not making any sense.
thanks for the editorial correction

steve