Friday, May 05, 2006

Brief Break in Moab



In the midst of getting ready to move Christine gave me the green light to head off to Moab, Utah for my annual Rock Climbing and Mountain Biking trip with about 50 guys from our church in Boulder. Wed morning I headed out of Boulder around 5 am for the 6 hour drive. I went with 3 staff guys from CU Boulder, Trent, Franklin and Curtis. Yesterday Curtis and Franklin (pictured right) took us to school and taught us how to "crack climb" two routes on an area called Wall Street. It was a ton of fun and super challenging.

This morning I took them into my world for the past couple of years. Traditionally on Friday mornings we ride the famous Slickrock trail. It is an amazing trail where if you can move your legs and keep your tires on the rock your bike will stick and climb it. It is one of my favorite things to do. Not only is it physically exhilarating the views, mountains and variety of landscape is a gift from God.

The guys did a great job and muscled it out for most of the day. It was years since Franklin, Trent and Curtis had been on bikes yet alone mountain biking Slickrock. About 7 miles into the 11 mile ride Franklin's legs were shutting down. He couldn't walk, ride or even stand. Then out of no where two jeeps came crawling over the rock and Curtis waived them down to see if they could take the wounded out. Franklin ended his day with about a 5 mile 4 wheeling adventure that was much more enjoyable than his first 7. Finished off with some napping, dinner and then some Texas Hold Em Poker. The reason I'm writing this is because I didn't do so well. Now off to bed and for maybe two rides tomorrow, Amasa and Porcupine Rim.
We're 5 days away from having the moving company pack up our house. Wow!


Categories:

No comments: