Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Crazy-Gnarls Barkley

I heard "Crazy" by Gnarles Barkley this past summer and the tune caught my ear. Then I heard it again today and I thought about the lyrics and some other things that have been going on in my mind about church planting, simple movements and missional living. Read Shane Deike's blog today for some crazy perspectives/observations about how we normally do things: Factors in Revival and Renewal Movements By Dr. Paul Pierson

I think many think I am crazy for doing what we're doing, in a non conventional way, in Mexico City and Long Beach, CA. "What, you're trying to reach 1,000,000 college students with only 6 staff?" "What, you're not having lots of controlled structure, weekly meetings, teaching, Bible studies, outreaches?" "I think you're crazy." They all say.

Here are the lyrics: (In parenthesis are my comments)

I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind (about two years ago when I was fed up with the style of ministry and my leadership)
There was something so **PLEASANT** about that place
Even your emotions had an echo in so much space

And when you're out there, without care
Yeah I was out of touch
But it wasn't because I didn't know enough
I just knew too much

Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
possibly

And I hope that you are havin' the time of your life
But think twice, that's my only advice

Come on now who do you, who do you, who do you, who do you
think you are, ha ha ha, bless your soul
You really think you're in control (many of us in Christian ministry think we are in control and have it all figured out. Well, it may just be that God is in control and if we let Him and others do the work, we won't be crazy anymore.)

well,
I think you're Crazy
I think you're Crazy
I think you're Crazy
Just like me

My heroes had the heart to live their lives out on a limb
And all I remember is thinkin' I wanna be like them. (When I look at the heroes of the faith in their early years, I want to be like them. aka Dr. Bright, Hudson Taylor, Jim Elliot, Amy Charmichael, Jesus, Apostle Paul...)

Ever since I was little, ever since I was little it looked like fun
And there's no coincidence I've come
And I can die when I'm done

But maybe I'm Crazy
Maybe you're Crazy
Maybe we're Crazy
Probably!
Probably!

Here is the Video:



Let's all be crazy in living for Jesus. Forget the tried and true methods of ministry and church. Let's be considered the radicals of the world again. Let's live out on a limb. Let's leave behind plastic church and Christianity and let the Spirit of God go crazy.

Maybe I'm crazy.

Probably!!!!

Categories: , , , ,


1 comment:

Andy McCullough said...

Crazy like a fox