Friday, September 16, 2005

The Common Thread

This past week I preached on Spiritual Friendships, some interesting things I have been learning about Community and Fellowship from Tim Keller at Redeemer Presbyterian Church in NY. One of the things I shared Tim Keller shared was that Spiritual Friendships are discovered, God brings them into your path when you're focused on Him, about His things, and falling in love with Him. I began to think about a guy I meet with weekly for lunch; for the past year. He is a 5th year senior at CU and one of the brightest kids I have ever met. He is well read (he also reads everything I give him) and well thought.

I really like our conversations and began to think why do I, a 34 year old, father of 3, not a student, and campus minister like hanging out with this kid? What do we have in common? What is it about our friendship. Then I realized, our common thread is Jesus. He openly admits that he doesn't know Jesus or even needs to but we find ourselves talking about His life every week. I find it stimulating, challenging and encouraging. I can be open about my desire to see him come to know Jesus. I share that I pray for him. I can encourage him, etc.

The amazing thing is that we haven't done anything outside this lunch conversation. All we do is eat lunch and talk. It is one of my most enjoyable times of the week. I have a spiritual friendship with a guy who doesn't even know Jesus yet, but our common bond is Jesus. Interesting. We'll see where this goes. I'm trusting in the truth of Christ to rise to the top and hopefully I don't get in the way.

No comments: