Sunday, September 04, 2005

Leading Leaders

We are already two weeks into the fall semester at CU. Ministry is going well and I am enjoying leading some of the best staff and students in the world. Last year we made a change in our emphasis on how we will gather and grow students. We believe that in order to reach all the students on the CU campus we must go after the students, getting into their worlds and not just ask them to come to us. We have gone away from pushing our attractional (come to us) weekly meeting and are planting little mini communities all over campus. Our desire is that every type of student will have a Christ centered community within their immediate reach to see the person of Jesus in the lives of other students.

What I need to do then is lead leaders so that they will in turn lead other leaders, specifically students. Ministry for us at CU has changed from a ministry focused on me or the rest of the staff to a ministry built on students reaching students. These past two weeks have been hard but the encouraging elements are when we see our vision of students reaching students happening. It is fairly humbling when ministry isn't about me, my efforts on campus with students but I have taken a different role; helping staff and students do the work of Christ centered communities in their worlds.

Through the whole process I'm learning to inspire others, train them, coach them, resource them and help them experience God in great community. Can't wait to see what this all looks like in 2 years.

1 comment:

Shane Deike said...

Very nice - Keep me posted on this experiment! I love your approach - it sounds like you will be much better positioned to challenge you student leaders. I often wonder how I would have responded to something like this when I was a student. If you get second, turn on the 'email post' option on your blog so I can easily send a link to your blog to some other directors who are thinking in similar ways (and some who are not).